SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Antworten
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Beitrag von arzaman »

Bild

Dear Homebrewing friends I continue in this thread in order to highlight main SmartPID features and functions and collect your feedback during the project

Before entering technical details few words about the “philosophy” and idea behind the project

When I start designing the SmatPID I try to capture some requirements and functionalities that are actually not present in low cost thermostat like STC1000 and are more typical in the professional control device (PLC) but at the same time I put lot of effort to keep it simple, accessible, affordable for a consumer market and DIY enthusiast

apart form the core temperature control features (PID/PWM etc..) indeed very advanced and powerful t the main innovation I have introduced that make SmartPID unique are

Full process automation

Bild
Thanks to the power of the platform it's possible to develop custom application that needs process control with complex service logic and manage a complete workflow.
Basic thermostat just simply ready temperature and control a relay according to set point..In smartPID you can program steps, ramps, triggers, alarms and manage complex temperature profile over the time.
Typical example is food processing like beer brewing, cheese making or food drying where according to specific recipe parameters the heating process should be managed step by step controlling and orchestrating different elements (heater, pump, fan..)

Data logging and export (USB & wifi)
Bild
The possibility to log all process data and analyse real time or off line is another typical feature that is available only on professional devices or with external data logger.
SmartPID has an internal 8Mbit EEPROM where all the process data (temperature, set point, PWM power, control direction etc,,) are logged and can be accessed either locally via USB and a desktop application (CSV export) or remotely pushed via wifi connection to a cloud server.

WiFi connectivity for remote management and IoT cloud integration
Bild
Wifi connectivity and cloud integration is what make SmartPID really smart !
Small wifi optional module is integrated in the SmarPID box and once connected to the wifi access the device can provide lot of new feature
remote management → configuration and control of setup parameter and process parameter from any location via web or smartphone
data logg→ real time monitoring of main process parameter and storage in the cloud server
for the development and design phase the thingspeak cloud service has been used , a private cloud server will be deployed after project founding

DIN Box
Bild
Another key driver for the design was the “box size” and we decide to use a standard DIN box in order to make SmartpID ultra compact and backward compatible with STC1000 like thermostat, you can just unplug your current controller and plug SmartPID to get the new full set of features
Engineering all the HW to support the new features has been very challenging but the result is a very powerful platform with powerful CPU, lot of memory and I/O capabilities that is the base line for developing powerful applications

Arduino Compatibility
Bild
Last but not least important driver was to keep as much as possible the platform open and easy programmable so the natural choice was to do development under Arduino umbrella. The component selection like the MCU (SAMD21 arduino Zero and MKR1000 IoT new board) and the architure are fully arduino compatible. I have developed a custom bootloader and specific board definition that can be imported in the Arduino IDE so you can just connect SmartPID via USB port to your PC and develop you sketch using the arduino tool-chain and all the supported libraries.

Let’s now have an overview to HW and core features

HW configuration

Bild

-SAMD21 processor ARM cortex M0+
-8Mbit EEPROM for data log, recipe storage etc..
-1.3” OLED graphical display
-USB front port for programming, SW upgrade, data logging
-4 tactile switch to navigate trough menu
-1x Buzzer
-Jtag/SWD port
-WIFI module (detachable)
-110/220 V AC power supply
-2x temp probe input (DS18B20 or NTC)
-2x 220v AC 10A Relay output
-1x SSR output
-2x 12V 1A direct drive output

The core control functions are

Bild
Bild
Bild

-DUAL Independent control channel
-Multi control mode (heating , cooling or thermostatic)
-Dual control algorithm (PID or ON/OFF)

Is this little box powerful, flexible, smart enough for your applications ?

Next posts try to go in detail of major functions and remote management part
Any feedback is appreciated !

Arzaman
http://smartpid.com
https://www.facebook.com/smartPID
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Re: SmartPID - smart temperature controller

Beitrag von arzaman »

I have prepared a feature comparison table between SmartPID and most common used thermostat

As you can easily see...there's no match :-(

When I complete the table I realize that comparing a fully programmable device with process automation capabilities and smart features like wifi and IoT capabilities with a thermostat maybe is not the right approach but at least once more you have the full feature list of the BASIC application !

Bild

something missing or more ?

arzaman
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Bild

Happy to announce after 2 weeks from SmartPID launching that the second application on top of the SmartPID platform is nearly ready and is completely dedicated to home brewing process automation

What is new and different compared to the standard basic application (smart thermostat)?
Substantially Smart Home Brewing App adds to a standard temperature control features all the process automation and workflow to manage all typical steps for beer making. We have customized vertically the SW for the specific application leveraging all the basic features available on the platform
Each vertical application has off course it’s own set of data, process parameter and configuration and so is the smart home brewing app that execute all process steps according to in memory “recipe”and controls HW resources (heating elements, pump/stirrer, buzzer ) in automatic way

These are main characteristic of the smart HB application
  • -Single vessel (BIAB/RIMS) or two vessel (MASH + HLT) process management
    -Electric heating (PID/PWM) or Gas Fired heating (ON/OFF)
    -Recirculating pump or motorized mixer management
    -NTC/DSB18B20 temperature probe
    -Internal or external (in recirculating circuit) temp probe position
    -Step Mash management (mash in/out and 6 step mash)
    -Boil management with overboil and power control (electric only)
    -Hop addition alarms
    -Whirlpool management (hot or cold)
    -Cooling management
    -Full recipe management (new / edit /clone /delete)
    -Mash profile
    -Boil duration and hop addition time
    -10 possible recipe in memory
    -Delay start for brew day programming
Off course the brewing application benefit of all common features
  • -Log of all process data locally in the EEPROM
    -Push of process data via wifi to thingspeak server
    -Download of process data via USB (CSV format)
    -Web visualization of process data
    -SamrtPID dedicated smartphone app for data visualization (android only)
If this is not enough the development roadmap foresse other uniques functions in particular the possibility to define the process parameter and recipe via web or smartphone interface and upload via wifi to the controller.
Even if it’s very easy to configure smartPID via local menu the possibility to have a web user area with all parameters and recipe as well all the log data of previous brew day we believe is a real plus. In order to simplify the recipe process from definition to run mode also import of mash and boil profile from major SW like Beersmith is in feasibility stage

In next posts we try to show a real case of set up and cabling for BIAB equipments and a video with complete overview of the functions trough the EMULATOR

arzaman
tauroplu
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von tauroplu »

Well...any idea about the estimated final pricing?
Beste Grüße
Michael

„Lass die anderen mit Fichten- und Tannensprossen würzen, der Hopfen ist das Beste, was die Natur uns bietet.“
Aus "Das Erbe des Bierzauberers" von Günther Thömmes, Gmeiner Verlag
saschabouchon
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von saschabouchon »

Hi,
It Looks Great! I have Seen the Demo Video
https://youtu.be/KeQfYbRECTw

That means i have just To Connect the 250v Part, the Temperature Sensor and install everything in a Nice Housing - that's it?!

If i would like To use a hendi with 3500 Watts i Need also a solid State Relais. The Relais for a pump Or preserver Are included, am i Right?

Best Regards
Sascha
http://www.brauhardware.de
Rührwerk selber bauen, von der Einkocher- bis zur 70l Brauklasse! Läuterfreund, Edelstahlhähne etc...
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

tauroplu hat geschrieben:Well...any idea about the estimated final pricing?
Good question..I can't provide the exact price now, I'm working with manufacturer to review production costs and preparing a business model
In electronic production costs are really dependent by volume and scale factor...the more people like the project the more I'm confident to go for mass production

anyway price will be in line with target user..is a consumer product for hobbyist and passionate and even if has lot or PRO features will be accessible to all !
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

saschabouchon hat geschrieben:Hi,
It Looks Great! I have Seen the Demo Video
https://youtu.be/KeQfYbRECTw

That means i have just To Connect the 250v Part, the Temperature Sensor and install everything in a Nice Housing - that's it?!

If i would like To use a hendi with 3500 Watts i Need also a solid State Relais. The Relais for a pump Or preserver Are included, am i Right?

Best Regards
Sascha

Hi sasha absolutely right ...SmartPID can be adapted to any setup with single vessel (BIAB/RIMS) or dual vessel (MASH+HLT) with minimum effort and integration, just connect your pump (if 12v even direct) your heating element (better via SSR ) and is done...

see this example for two vessels system

Bild

do you like it ?
arzaman
http://www.facebook.com/smartPID
DerDerDasBierBraut
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von DerDerDasBierBraut »

Thanks for your demo. The controller features looks pretty good.

I've a question about the possibilities to control an electrical stirrer (12 or 24V, maximum 35A).

I'd like to connect my electrical stirrer to the controller.

The stirrer should run with full power (or x percent of PWM load) when:
- the heating SSR is on
- 2-5 minutes after the heating was turned off

and the stirrer should rotate slowly (x percent of PWM power) when:
- the heating SSR is off and the brewing progress is inside of a mashing rest, to enure a homogeneous temperature inside of the mash tun (alternatively the stirrer could run shortly with full power in longer intervals)

Thank you
Jens
"Da braut sich was zusammen ... "
"Oh, Bier ;-) !"
"Nein! Was Böses!"
"Alkoholfreies Bier??? ..."
-----------
Viele Grüße
Jens
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

thank you for your interest and support in the project

I try to provide some ideas and suggestion on stirrer mangement

firs of all you can assing the pump/stirrer output to any not used output, since it seems you have a big motor my suggestion is to use either one of the two mechanical relay, or one of the two 12V DC output plus a realy/SSR

current SW version does not have control of stirrer/pump rotation speed so you should or customize the sw or perform externally

same for the two processes you suggest, current implementation foresee a periodic pump/stirrer ON-OFF cycle configurable from menu (ex 20 min ON and 5 min OFF) , there is no sync with the heating process and heating SSR

in my opinion the heating should proceed in step mash indipendently than you can run pump/stirrer continuously of have on-off cycle ..since PWM of heating has frequnecy of few seconds I don't see the way to sync stirrer with heating ssr

br
Davide
DerDerDasBierBraut
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Thanks for your answer.

So I can configure an on-off cycle for the pump output, which turns on the stirrer periodically to ensure an even mash temperature during the heating breaks.
During heating, the controller switches on the pump output permanently.
Have I understood that correctly? This would be fine to get a consistent temperature in the mash tun.

Then we finally need a solution for the 2-5 minutes after the heating has switched off. During this time, the mash likes to scorch, because the heater has a sluggish behavior. It's still has a lot of heat after switching off. So the stirrer should be switched on for some minutes, to avoid the scorching of the mash.
Any ideas to solve this?

Thank you
Jens

Oh Hilfe! Übernimmt mal bitte jemand für mich, der weiß worauf ich hinaus will und der Englisch in der Schule hatte? ;)
"Oh, Bier ;-) !"
"Nein! Was Böses!"
-----------
Viele Grüße
Jens
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

exactly, under the setup menu-→ process parameter you can define two timers for ON/OFF cycle of the pump or stirrer (remember that you can assign the “pump” process to any output you like )

Bild

than you can define in what stages you want to use pump/stirrer and you have a set of flag Y/N to include or exclude some stages, for example during mash in is useful to recirculate to have uniform temperature...but after mash out you can decide to stop pump and not use during boil ..simply set N in proper stage

Bild

flexible enough ?

Davide
DerDerDasBierBraut
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

arzaman hat geschrieben: flexible enough ?
Hi Davide,

I'd say it's nearly flexible enough :Wink .

Does "Step Mash Pump = YES" mean, that the pump/stirrer is working continiously while heating, and that pump/stirrer is working automatically in intervals when the mash temperature has been reached? If not, we'll need a further process parameter like "Step Mash Rest Pump = YES/NO" to archive this behavior, right? The background is, that a stirrer brings air (oxygene) into the mash. Therefor the stirrer should run as little as possible to prevent/reduce the oxydation of the mash by reducing the air injection. The mash rest is a good time to turn the stirrer off and switch to the cycle mode.

When you switch between permanent pump mode and cycle pump mode in the Step Mash procedure, you'd have also a good point to control the 2-5 minutes of additional stirrer runtime after turning off the heater.

Next question:
What about updates? Is it possible to flash firmware updates to the device to fix bugs or add new features later on?
"Oh, Bier ;-) !"
"Nein! Was Böses!"
-----------
Viele Grüße
Jens
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Understood your point generally speaking consider that SmartPID is completely programmable, if you have a complete flow charts with all conditions and variables and you are able to program ATMEL ARM processor you can code your custom request easily

Step Mash Pump = YES means that during all the step mash period from mash IN to mash out the pump/stirrer is activated according to pump cycle defined. Is a background process as I wrote not linked to temperature or SSR heating activation..so pump stirrer works during ramps and during steady period.
Consider that in BIAB/RIMS systems this is mandatory...even more if your temperature probe is external to the mash tun...in this case pump is always ON otherwise you cannot measure worth temperature!

the other question is simple so far…
off course it's possibile to perform upgrade, application load, bug correction...and is as simple as connect the USB to your PC and you see SmartPID as external memory, you drag-n-drop the new exectuable in the root and is done !
Special bootloader has been developed for this…

as well you can see the board from arduino IDE and compile and load your sketch

is it simple enough ?
DerDerDasBierBraut
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

arzaman hat geschrieben:if you have a complete flow charts with all conditions and variables and you are able to program ATMEL ARM processor you can code your custom request easily
is it simple enough ?
No, sorry. I'm just familar with C#, Delphi, PHP and SQL, but C/C++ is a book with seven seals for me. Pointers are making "Kopfaua" (headache)...
I'm afraid that I have to wait until you've implemented the stirrer logic somehow, before I can buy the controller.

The firmware update procedure is pretty easy. :thumbup
Zuletzt geändert von DerDerDasBierBraut am Donnerstag 13. Oktober 2016, 03:11, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
"Oh, Bier ;-) !"
"Nein! Was Böses!"
-----------
Viele Grüße
Jens
saschabouchon
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

In my point of view there is no Need To Control the stirrer During the mash Programm! Just let it run the whole Time and keep it easy!

:-)
Rührwerk selber bauen, von der Einkocher- bis zur 70l Brauklasse! Läuterfreund, Edelstahlhähne etc...
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

DerDerDasBierBraut hat geschrieben:[quote="arzaman"I have to wait until you have implemented the stirrers Logic somehow, before I can buy the controller.
In this phase I'm collecting feedback and I will take a note of your request and insert in feature roadmap
I'm afraid that no many people has this low level custom request for stirrer and current logic quite good for almost all cases so feature will be low priority

stay tuned, subscribe web site news letter and FB page for early bird offer

br
Davide
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Live test of SmartPID controller applied to a profi cook pot transformed into a single vessel BIAB system with full process automation and smart feature

https://youtu.be/jl4B4WM893Y

arzaman
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

During this month after launching we have collected lot of feedback and also questions either technical and commercial.
We have collected in the FAQ section on the web site, have a look for any doubt on the project !

http://smartpid.com/faq/

arzaman

Bild
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

SmartPID is not a simple controller or thermostat, is more an “open platform” powerful and flexible where the resources and I/O can be used for different applications, different environments and integration. My idea is to develop an ecosystem of “vertical” applications on top of a common set of features

the first two applications developed for homebrewer are

smart thermostat (or basic application) that is the base line for any thermal regulated process . Can be used and adapted where it's need a PID control or perform a retrofit o simple thermostat with something more advanced. Typical example is fermentation chamber

Smart homebrewing app that is focused on all brewing process automation from mashing to boiling from hop addition to whirlpool and cooling including recipe management

Bild

anything you would like to see on top of SmartPID??

arzaman
DerDerDasBierBraut
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Yes, a stirrer control ... :Greets
"Oh, Bier ;-) !"
"Nein! Was Böses!"
-----------
Viele Grüße
Jens
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Working to a plug-n-play and easy retrofit solution to upgrade original grinfather controller with Smartpid and need some suggestions and ideas from GF community

The idea is to keep the original case and switches, just removing STC200 and rewiring Smartpid in order to get full process automation, recipe management, wifi data log, OLED graphical display, USB, etcetc.. and basically there a two options

1) connect heating element to relay 1 , connect pump to relay 2 in parallel to switch, connect temperature probe to one of the two control channel. Just two wires for pump and a screw driver !

You can benefit all the smart PID automation feature (including pump cycle automation) but the temperature control during step mash will be performed ON/OFF (with hysteresis) since is not advisable to use PID /PWM algorithm with mechanical relay output
Also during boil you lose the nice feature to control power via PWM 0-100%

2) insert in the case a solid state relay (10A minimum) to control heating elements, pump control and temperature probe as option 1

Little bit of extra work and a need of suitable SSR with heat sink to fit in the small spare space inside the case but you can benefit full PID + PWM solution either in mashing or in boiling

there is also a 3rd option more invasive that need to work on the base of GF separating 2 heating element now in series in order to control them separately (500W by PID during mashing, 1500 W by relay during mash in/out and boil)

what option do you prefer ? Any other suggestion ?

Bild
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Happy to announce that next week smartPID will go live on kickstarter
Thank you for your patience,thank you for support and suggestions,thank you in advance for your contribution to bring smartpid to life

Bild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMgzq0XVB_4

stay tuned
arzaman
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Breaking news and great day for the project !!
I'm happy to inform you in advance that the crowdfunding campaign is started and SmartPID is finally live on INDIEGOGO

Bild

https://igg.me/at/smartpid/x

I see already some pledge from DE and traffic from the forum and your community and thanks to all early adopter and backers but now the most important think is to spread the news to reach the maximum number of people.

I have chosen the hard way “all or nothing” to reach a certain volume and MoQ to keep production cost and consequently price affordable and next days I will start some mkt campaign but the success of the campaign depends greatly on you and the world of mouth is the key..I kindly ask you to engage your homebrewing, DIY enthusiasts, makers friends an let them know about the campaing

sure of your support I will update regularly
br Davide
arzaman engineering

Bild
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Bild

I would like to wish marry Xmas and happy new year to all smartPID project supporters and crowdfunding campaign backers

Campaign will run on INDIEGOGO until 11/1 so you have still the chance to make yourself a gift and allow smartPID to go live !
Best wishes again

Bild

https://igg.me/at/smartpid/x/15644037

Davide
arzaman engineering
saschabouchon
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Hi davide,

What will be the final Price After the indiegogo campaign?

Was denkt ihr, ist doch eine nette Alternative zum craftbeerpi oder?

Beste Grüße
sascha
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

End of the year is time for balance !
2016 has been very hard and exciting, one year of design, development, prototypes, test ..lot of work and effort but also satisfaction
The startup of the project is not so easy and still some work have to be completed but I hope 2017 will bring definitely SmartPID controller to life !

Thank you for your support and happy new year to the whole community

Davide
arzaman engineering

https://youtu.be/X9cXHUep1Ac

Bild
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Hi
short project update for this beginning 2017
Development continue and I'm happy to share a couple of news

From HW perspective I succeed adding an I2C expansion port on the back panel that provides lot of flexibility and expansion capabilities. The port has “grove” pin out and there are lot of sensors and actuators that can be connected.

Bild

The other improvement is related to the smartphone app. Lot of enhancement, new layout and now the possibility not only to monitor from remote the process parameter but also to modify the set point

have a look to this short video that show the remote control capabilites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJiMmr1yJE

hope you like this enhancement, stay tuned
Davide
arzman engineering
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Since I got few questions I would like to provide you an update of the project after the strategy review post indiegogo campaign.

I can confirm you that finally I have distributed 12 SmartPID to selected beta tester, it's an important milestone since after one year of work smartpid leave my laboratory and someone start really playing with it and provide real feedback.

I'm collecting the first feedback on all possible areas..from buy experience to fulfillment..from general look and feel to user experience ..from smartphone app to core features.

The overall feedback generally speaking is positive and I got really lot of valuable inputs either on fixing some problems (mainly in the smartphone app) or review and enhance some parts.

Here some unboxing and first integrations ..Lot of discussion and interaction (an lot of work) !

Bild

In parallel the development proceeds on many different streams

I have released first version of the installation and configuration manual that provides all details to connect and configure smartPID (wifi config, thingspeak config, Arduino IDE config and sketch compilation , FW upgrade and so on). You can download form the github page

A new SW release is now available either for the homebrewing app and smart thermostat adding two main content: Fahrenheit support and probe calibration support
In the short term roadmap some important enhancements are already palnned: delayed start for fridge (smart thermostat) and PID autotuning beta, should be interesting experiment autotuning algorithm in your setup

As promised I have made smartPID open source and I have also completed the github area with all source code,libraries, schema, driver etc.. so anyone that will enjoy programming and hacking smartPID can do ! Please remember that all material is subject to GNU V3 open source license

https://github.com/arzaman/smartPID

I have prepared also the website for adding a wiki section and a forum section. Hopefully I will release in live in the week end. This will allow better project documentation and interaction with all end user

The very good news is that end next week I should receive the front panel that is the last missing part so I'm potentially ready to provide to you the long waited smartpid (more or less in line with indiegogo campaing schedule)

My plan is to collect other feedback from beta tester up to end of February , fix major issue and than distribute the remaining 50 boards (with precedence to backers) and increase the community.. so stay tuned !

Bild

Davide
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Quick update on the project with special focus on new feature and enhancements of application SW
Delay Fridge start and PID auto tuning has been released and I have also added the configuration support for different beta coefficient for NTC sensors plus other minor changes coming from the beta tester

Bild

I have also tested extensively the auto tune with my test equipment and even if I’m not a fan of the auto tuning process it can help you to find an initial set up that maybe you can adjust by experience

Bild

Now working to the final version of the smart thermostat app adding the ramp/soak management for the fermentation chamber
I have also released the first official version of the android smartphone app on google play store, off course to use it you need the SmartPID controller (and the thingspeak account)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m.smartpid

The beta testing phase has been completed and lot of feedback received, I have now extended the community with a limited offer to former Indiegogo backer but I’m ready to open the store to all of you with a limited stock of controller

It’s a matter of days, stay tuned !
Davide
Arzaman engineering
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

New major feature for the smartPID temperature controller !

I have implemented on top of the smart thermostat the temperature profile management, something similar to the step mash feature of the brewing app

You can define up to 10 different profiles made by set point, ramp time and soak time than the controller moves linearly the stet-point from one value to another in the defined time so you can control the ramp slope

the soak time calculation has two options

static: soak time starts immediately after the ramp end, regardless the current temperature has reached the new set point

Bild

dynamic: soak time starts when the temperature reach set point (like in step mash) and so you have a synchronous process

Bild

in this video more details on the profile configuration and execution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EipLWRyb98&t

this will make the smart thermostat perfect for the fermentation chamber control in case you need to change slowly your set point

hope you like it, any comment appreciated !

Br
Davide
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Long time since last post and lot of things happens !
Many homebrewers adopted SmartPID controller and I got lot of feedback that allow me to enhance and improve either HW and SW
Before summer break (at least in north hemisphere it’s summer time !) just few update on the project

Still working on the improvement of the overall quality of the engineering of smartPID and from next batch I'm happy to announce that the front panel has been replaced with a new one.
Not just a graphical and aesthetic review but a different solution. The tactile switch are now internal and on top of the panel a flexible membrane allow to press it.

Bild

This provide a very good feeling in operating in smartPID but more important good protection of the inside from splash or particles. Little details but improved in quality and reliability

Biggest news are SW side. As you may have seen the focus on the development now is on the BBQ controller application, with support of few professional pit master now the application is almost complete. Very powerful, feature reach and flexible...I will follow up on this topic and I will start a beta testing campaign after summer break ..stay tuned

The BBQ app give me the chance to talk about another big change in the SW architecture and evolution of SmartPID ecosystem. You know that one of the SmartPID smartest feature is the capability to remote monitor and control your device and process. Currently the smartphone app is available for android only and is based on the public service provided by Thingspeak.

In the BBQ solution I have tested a new technology to implement the remote control and the results are really good and promising

The new technology is based on MQTT subscribe and notify protocol that is becoming a standard for the IoT connected devices and allow me to mange a private server where to develop advanced services
From technical perspective allow me to solve lot of the annoying things to make a device connected via WiFi home router like the dynamic IP address of firewall traversal.

From your end user perspective the initial set up user experience will be simplified, the new app will be very responsive and with possibility to implement also commands and actions.
And finally the technology allow me to implement either native android smartphone app but also web application that you can use in any browser….fixed or mobile..so including tablet or IOS devices.

Have a look to this video that is quite explanatory!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHTCkl64AQE

In autumn I will retrofit also the smartphone app for hombrewing and smart thermostat and finally implement what you request so many times: full brew day and process remote controls (not only monitors) with full interactions and all the parameters remote control including recipe management

Finally I'm working to other two applications: a complete process controller for malting barley with a micro-malthouse and a spirit distiller controller. Still in a design and concept stage but progressing !

If you are interested there are really few smartPID pieces in the store still at the launch price, next stock available in August

Have a nice holiday and talk to you after summer break with other news and progress !

br
Davide
VoelserBrauer
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von VoelserBrauer »

Wow this looks brilliant!

I want to build a single vessel automated system and it looks like this would be perfect!

Just so I'm correct in my thinking...

I assume the SSR can power a Hendi 3500m?
Which heating logic should be used for the Hendi, PID or On/Off?
Can the pump flow be controlled by pwm or is it IO?

Thanks very much, looks like a great product with a great price :-)
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Yes SmartPID is the right choice for any brewing process automation...completely configurable, absolutely flexible and rich of smart features…much more than a PID or a thermoregulatory
About SSR you should select one suitable for you heating power,…you can dirve any load any power. For 3500W 220V use a 40A SSR and add a good heatsink
I’m not familiar with “handi” but if is electrical heataer PID is perfect , if is GAS heated better ON/OFF
PUMP in auto mode is completely controlled by the logic in each step. The pump is on/off you can regulate the flow via PWM (this is because there are so many motor pump that is impossible to have HW for all types)
If you have a small DC pump you can connect directly to smartPID (no external power supply) , if you have 220V AC pump you can drive via internal relay

Enjoy
Davide
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Bild

As usual I’m happy to share with you some news about the project but since Xmas time is approaching I have activated a special promo offer on the online store, For limited time period you can get for free

-SSR 40 A 24-380V AC with smartPID smart hombrewing app
Or
-Thermocouple K-type adapter with smartPID smart thermostat

Bild

Few pieces of the all in one klarstein mash tun retrofit kit are still available

Bild
don’t miss out !

Bild

coming back to project status update

The other big step forward is related to the remote control management, I’m working to a complete re-design of that part introducing a more interactive, user friendly and powerful technology that allow also integration with third party application.
The first application that have been updated is the smart thermostat, the retrofit is now complete and we are testing the android smartphone app that will make the smart thermostat a really smart and unique product ! Here some screenshot preview

Bild
Bild

Smart Homebrewing application will follow in January and brew day monitor, automation and recipe management will be something really amazing !

I take the opportunity to wish you a happy and peaceful Christmas and I will come back to you next years with lot of smart and exciting project and news
Br
Davide
arzaman
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von arzaman »

Bild

Hi smarPID firends !

Long time since my last post but smartpid project continue to evolve and progress with new product and new features mainly coming from your suggestions !

Just a summary of most important news

SmartPID CUBE

After almost one year of design, development and tests I’m very proud to announce that the new SmartPID CUBE hardware is now available and you can select it on the online store

http://smartpid.com/store

Bild

The smartPID cube is a complete re-engineering of the previous HW in a new form factor that is very fancy either to keep on a desktop or to wall mount (ie with a DIN rail support).

From SW and functional point of view is 100% smartPID so all current smart homebrewing and smart thermostat (BBQ will come later) applications runs   seamlessly on the new HW.

Main difference are 
+ bigger 1.5” OLED display
+ SD card adapter with process data logging
+ 12V external power supply (available optionally)

bottom line is a smartest PID ever that allow you to control everything anywhere 

Smart Homebrewing new remote control architecture

Finally also the smart hombrewing app has been retrofitted and now can benefit of the powerful and flexible MQTT architecture.
I have already notified all the smartPID customer to perform the FW upgrade and to download the andorid smartphone app...please remember that the old solution (via thingspeak ) is not more supported

Bild

Notice that the new FW introduce lot of other features and enhancement including some robustness feature (process watchdog, auto resume after power down) so it’s strongly suggested to upgrade to last version available. All upgrade details and FW version are downloadable from the wiki section of web site.

Now all applications are aligned and have same remote control framework and consistent user experience but still some development are on going on the app side to perform 

recipe management
brew day process visual status

few other requirements collected from your feedback will be implemented soon

Other work in progress..

working on a "web application” that can be used with any browser (including IOS environment) desktop and mobile. The first prototype is available and now testing

I also make a partnership with Brewfather web homebrewing too that is very powerful and flexible, SmartPID will be integrated soon and you can mange your recipe or fermentation monitor all in one place

Bild

Last but not least I have opened a new proof of concept to integrate smartPID in the amazon echo and google home ecosystems. Smart speaker are the “cool” hi-tech gadget of the moment and vocal interface is really something that can help smartPID to work in an even more effective way. 

Hope you appreciate the news and the effort I put in keep the project live and move forward !
stay tuned
Davide
Antworten