Becks Clone - What Hops?

Fragen und Diskussion rund um Rezepturen zum Bierbrauen
Antworten
OzBrewer
Neuling
Neuling

Becks Clone - What Hops?

Beitrag von OzBrewer »

Sorry about using English. I hope google translate will help.

I'm from Australia, lived in Europe for 12 years, and have been homebrewing for 21 years.

I'm trying to find out what hops are used in Becks? In my opinion it has a distinct (late) hop flavour. Henninger beer seems to have a similar hop profile but not as obvious as Becks.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I think they must be using a large amount of late hops to get the flavour.

Do you also see Becks as a Helles or a Pilsner?

Thanks in advance. I can use google translate for replies in German. :thumbup
chaos-black
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Re: Becks Clone - What Hops?

Beitrag von chaos-black »

Becks is definitely a Pilsner. One of the core flavor aspects is that it has gone through photooxidation resulting in light struck skunky aroma (that I personally enjoy!). I don't know what kind of hops they are using, but I would restrain from anything too floral. To me it is mostly herbal and grassy. I have just recently done some experiments with 9 classic German hops and Saazer to find hops with a mostly grassy and less floral aroma. The winner is Hersbrucker Pure with Hersbrucker spät coming in second. Just don't go too heavy on the late boil additions.

Cheers,
Alex
Zuletzt geändert von chaos-black am Montag 13. Mai 2019, 20:35, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Meine Hobbybrauerei: http://brauerei-flaschenpost.de/ (gerade offline)
Eowyn
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von Eowyn »

OzBrewer hat geschrieben: Montag 13. Mai 2019, 11:19 Sorry about using English. I hope google translate will help.

I'm from Australia, lived in Europe for 12 years, and have been homebrewing for 21 years.

I'm trying to find out what hops are used in Becks? In my opinion it has a distinct (late) hop flavour. Henninger beer seems to have a similar hop profile but not as obvious as Becks.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I think they must be using a large amount of late hops to get the flavour.

Do you also see Becks as a Helles or a Pilsner?

Thanks in advance. I can use google translate for replies in German. :thumbup
I used to like Beck's as a go to when no Augustiner was available while I was still living in Germany.

It's a Pilsner not a Lager and if I was trying to re-create it (here in the US) I'd go with Hersbrucker and maybe domestic (as in US domestic) Hallertau since it is more earthy/grassy than the original German one.

Hence I am seconding what Chaos-Black said.
Women have been brewing beer since the days of ancient Egypt, and it was only after the Black Plague that it fell into the hands of men
tauroplu
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von tauroplu »

Zitat: "It's a Pilsner not a Lager". Please explain because Pilsner is of course a Lager (not vice-versa).
Beste Grüße
Michael

„Lass die anderen mit Fichten- und Tannensprossen würzen, der Hopfen ist das Beste, was die Natur uns bietet.“
Aus "Das Erbe des Bierzauberers" von Günther Thömmes, Gmeiner Verlag
Eowyn
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von Eowyn »

tauroplu hat geschrieben: Montag 13. Mai 2019, 15:37 Zitat: "It's a Pilsner not a Lager". Please explain because Pilsner is of course a Lager (not vice-versa).
ich wollte Helles schreiben, lol...
sorry, mea culpa... das kommt davon, wenn man *Helles* kontinuierlich mit Lager übersetzt, weil man dem Amerikaner, der fragt, erklären möchte, was ein Augustiner ist.
Women have been brewing beer since the days of ancient Egypt, and it was only after the Black Plague that it fell into the hands of men
die kleine bierschau
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von die kleine bierschau »

chaos-black hat geschrieben: Montag 13. Mai 2019, 11:50 One of the core flavor aspects is that it has gone through photooxidation resulting in light struck skunky aroma
I'm not sure I would agree with that. I don't get that lightstruck character when I have Beck's from a can or on tap, so I wouldn't include it as part of the core flavor. Don't get me wrong, I like it (sometimes) too!

The only time I've had skunk from a can is here in Japan. Asahi Zero Dry is a non-alcohol beer that's not brewed from a wort.
OzBrewer
Neuling
Neuling

Re: Beck's clone - what hops?

Beitrag von OzBrewer »

Ok. I'm not convinced on the light struck as well, or this photooxidation. Perhaps they are doing it prior to bottling, kegging or canning?

I was of the opinion it was Pilsner, but just wanted to confirm.

I also think the Augustininer Helles Lagerbier is one of the best, along with Tegenseer Helles. I have recipe that has gotten me very close to those two that I regularly brew.

I was thinking on the Becks, not flowery hops, but earthy/grassy hops as well. I thought maybe some late Magnum or Tettnanger.
die kleine bierschau
Posting Junior
Posting Junior

Beitrag von die kleine bierschau »

I suspect the lightstruck flavor can be done chemically, without any actual sunlight exposure.

Late Magnum sounds a bit unusual to me. I've always thought it was just for bittering. But if you come up with a good recipe, please share!

Best of luck! :thumbsup
tauroplu
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von tauroplu »

@Eowyn: danke, sowas Ähnliches hab ich mir schon gedacht, bin aber nicht drauf gekommen, was Du wirklich gemeint hattest. Wollte Dich auch gar nicht irgendwie kompromittieren, war wirklich nur Neugier. :Greets
Beste Grüße
Michael

„Lass die anderen mit Fichten- und Tannensprossen würzen, der Hopfen ist das Beste, was die Natur uns bietet.“
Aus "Das Erbe des Bierzauberers" von Günther Thömmes, Gmeiner Verlag
Eowyn
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von Eowyn »

tauroplu hat geschrieben: Dienstag 14. Mai 2019, 09:19 @Eowyn: danke, sowas Ähnliches hab ich mir schon gedacht, bin aber nicht drauf gekommen, was Du wirklich gemeint hattest. Wollte Dich auch gar nicht irgendwie kompromittieren, war wirklich nur Neugier. :Greets
lol - nee... das passiert mir am tag ungefähr 20 mal mit diversen Vokablen.. all good.
Am schlimmsten ist es im Reitsport/Pferdepflegebereich... ich bin das total gewohnt, dass ich in einer von beiden möglichen Sprachen Schmarren rede... :)
Eowyn
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von Eowyn »

OzBrewer hat geschrieben: Dienstag 14. Mai 2019, 01:02 Ok. I'm not convinced on the light struck as well, or this photooxidation. Perhaps they are doing it prior to bottling, kegging or canning?

I was of the opinion it was Pilsner, but just wanted to confirm.

I also think the Augustininer Helles Lagerbier is one of the best, along with Tegenseer Helles. I have recipe that has gotten me very close to those two that I regularly brew.

I was thinking on the Becks, not flowery hops, but earthy/grassy hops as well. I thought maybe some late Magnum or Tettnanger.
OMG! Nothing happens for no reason...

will you share your recipe with me please?
I am only brewing beer because I can not get Augustiner on tab here :)
I still did not yet dare to brew lager but I have no more excuses now...

And returning to Becks - Those two hops you mentioned were my first ideas - however I would go with the US magnum because it is less flowery.

:)
OzBrewer
Neuling
Neuling

Beitrag von OzBrewer »

Pilsner (weyermann or best malz, lightest colour) 77.5%
Carapils (weyermann) 20%
Acid MAlt 2.5%
90 min boil
Hallerftauer Mittelfrueh @60min - 13.6 IBU
Hallerftauer Mittelfrueh @20min - 3.1 IBU
Whirlfloc Tablet @15min
Hallerftauer Mittelfrueh @5min - 1.6 IBU
Overall IBU: 18.3

water: Calcium 19.7ppm, Magnesium 0ppm, Sodium 7.7ppm, Sulfate 15.4ppm, Chloride 35.8ppm; Sulfate to Chloride Ratio 0.4, Effective Hardness 14.1 ppm, Sulfate/Chloride balance = very malty

Mash: 3.5ltr per 1kg of Malt
35c for 15 min (acid rest)
50c for 30 min
62c for 40 min
68c for 15 min
72c for 15 min
Mash out at 76c-78c for 10 min

Yeast: Saflager 34/70 (3 packets, and spin up to yeast count)(Calculate yeast @6billion cells per gram, as per manufacturer numbers)(Use Yeast Starter calculator)
NOTE: Start the yeast starter 2 to 3 days before pitching. Use a stir plate if possible.

Ferment @ 9c until finished.
Crash cool to 0.5c for at least 2 weeks.
Add gelatine at end of 2 weeks (24g of gelatine per 25ltrs of wort. Dissolve gelatine in 1 cup of hot water, when dissolved, add to fermenter and gently stir. Remember to use StarSan to sanitise your stirrer).
Leave for 3 days after adding gelatine.

Carbonation: 2.3 co2 volume.

Any questions let me know. It's a good Helles recipe, close to those in Southern Bavaria. You can drop to 15% carapils and up the pilsner percentage. Don't change the acid malt amount as it's important to the overall beer.
OzBrewer
Neuling
Neuling

Beitrag von OzBrewer »

Back to the original topic of this thread. I have done some research on Pilsners, and I think the flavour I'm definitely getting in Becks is a hop flavour.

I believe to achieve this it is important to dry hop for a good pilsner.

I'm in the process of creating the recipe. I will post when done.
Johnny H
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von Johnny H »

Just to make sure: you are talking about the "standard" Beck's and not one of the American versions, such as the Beck's Sapphire?

I cannot see "standard" Beck's being dry-hopped. Whether the same applies for anything brewed in licence elsewhere in the world under the same name I'm not sure but it's difficult to see that given that Beck's is internationally renowned as a light lager without too much flavour.

It also seems there are various other versions available abroad which I have never heard of, let alone tried.
Jubel erscholl, als sich die Trinker von dem schneidigen, köstlichen, bei dem früher in Pilsen erzeugten nie wahrgenommenen Geschmack überzeugten. Die Geburt des Pilsner Bieres!
(E. Jalowetz, Pilsner Bier im Lichte von Praxis und Wissenschaft, 1930)
Eowyn
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von Eowyn »

OzBrewer hat geschrieben: Dienstag 21. Mai 2019, 12:27 Pilsner (weyermann or best malz, lightest colour) 77.5%
Carapils (weyermann) 20%
Acid MAlt 2.5%
90 min boil
Hallerftauer Mittelfrueh @60min - 13.6 IBU
Hallerftauer Mittelfrueh @20min - 3.1 IBU
Whirlfloc Tablet @15min
Hallerftauer Mittelfrueh @5min - 1.6 IBU
Overall IBU: 18.3

water: Calcium 19.7ppm, Magnesium 0ppm, Sodium 7.7ppm, Sulfate 15.4ppm, Chloride 35.8ppm; Sulfate to Chloride Ratio 0.4, Effective Hardness 14.1 ppm, Sulfate/Chloride balance = very malty

Mash: 3.5ltr per 1kg of Malt
35c for 15 min (acid rest)
50c for 30 min
62c for 40 min
68c for 15 min
72c for 15 min
Mash out at 76c-78c for 10 min

Yeast: Saflager 34/70 (3 packets, and spin up to yeast count)(Calculate yeast @6billion cells per gram, as per manufacturer numbers)(Use Yeast Starter calculator)
NOTE: Start the yeast starter 2 to 3 days before pitching. Use a stir plate if possible.

Ferment @ 9c until finished.
Crash cool to 0.5c for at least 2 weeks.
Add gelatine at end of 2 weeks (24g of gelatine per 25ltrs of wort. Dissolve gelatine in 1 cup of hot water, when dissolved, add to fermenter and gently stir. Remember to use StarSan to sanitise your stirrer).
Leave for 3 days after adding gelatine.

Carbonation: 2.3 co2 volume.

Any questions let me know. It's a good Helles recipe, close to those in Southern Bavaria. You can drop to 15% carapils and up the pilsner percentage. Don't change the acid malt amount as it's important to the overall beer.

Thank you so much!
I'll try to get brave enough to brew this.
I'll let you know how it went :)
Neubierig
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Beitrag von Neubierig »

A bit OT on the subject of light-struck. That comes apparently from the use of green bottles, which let the UV through. If you're buying it in cans or on tap, you're not going to get that. Coming from a bottle won't necessarily be light-struck - it all depends on how it's transported and stored.

Cheers,

Keith :-)
Beer - the only reason I get up in the afternoon
Antworten